Tuesday 11 February 2014

The Beach by Alex Garland


I very rarely copy the summary from the back of a book, but this one is simply perfect and I can think of no way to better it:

Summary:
The Khao San Road, Bangkok - first stop on the backpacker trail.  On Richard's first night there a fellow traveller slits his wrists, leaving Richard a map to 'The Beach'.  The Beach is a legend among young travellers in Asia; white sands circling a lagoon hidden from the sea, coral gardens and freshwater falls surrounded by jungle.  In this earthly paradise, it is rumoured, a select community lives in blissful ignorance.  For Richard, haunted by the glamour of Vietnam war movies, a trek into unknown Thai territory is irresistible. He was looking for an adventure.  Now he's found it.

Thoughts:
Reading older books from my shelves has completely influenced my reading habits; now I'm starting to pick up books that weren't even on my planned TBR list, and long may it continue!  I remember the film of The Beach coming out back in 2000, but was too young to see it, and have had vague plans of reading the book ever since.  And I'm glad that I finally picked it up.  The Beach is a genuinely thrilling, page-turner of a book that kept me up past my bedtime several nights in a row.

The great thing about The Beach is that it is a slow burn kind of book.  Things start off very dramatically with the suicide of a traveller in Bangkok but then slow down again as Richard attempts to find and then live on The Beach.  The whole time, there is a sense that something isn't quite right, a sense of foreboding, and this gradually builds and builds until you're simply desperate to find out what happens at the end.  I was worried the ending would be disappointing given all of the build up, but it was actually more gripping than I thought it would be.  I've since watched the film too, and the film ending is just awful compared to the book, such a cop out.

The Beach is really about what happens when a group of people isolate themselves completely from the outside world.  Moral codes start to slip and patterns of dominance start to emerge.  As Richard lives on The Beach, his sense of belonging and identity with the world as a whole slowly starts to fade and his whole personality becomes based on his new group identity.  And if things are accepted by the group, who are you to challenge them?  I thought Garland portrayed this change in Richard very subtly and effectively, up to the point where he couldn't recognise himself any more.

The only minor issue I had with The Beach was that it was pretty pretentious at times.  There was all this stuff about travelling only being important if it is 'off the beaten track' and away from other tourists, always looking for the next unspoiled destination.  Richard and his friends look down their noses at everyone constantly.  I know that Garland is only portraying people who do feel like this, but it did get irritating at times.

Still, I would recommend The Beach if you're after a page-turner or thriller, or curious about what happens to humanity when it's left completely to it's own devices.  I couldn't put it down.

Source: Personal copy
Published: 1996
Score: 4 out of 5

14 comments:

  1. Wow.. this does sound incredible. I find topics about how people change depending on the society they live with quite interesting. Looks like this one doesn't disappoint in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that angle was really well explored, so I think you would enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. I read this book around the time the movie came out -- the popularity of Leonard DiCaprio may or may not have influenced this decision. I was definitely too young at the time I read it because I remember being really confused. I think this is definitely one to revisit now that I'm older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may or may not have had a crush on Leonardo DiCaprio too! :P

      Delete
  3. It's been a long time since i thought about this book. Thanks for reminding me of it. And I've been reading off my TBR list too and it really is liberating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is liberating, hopefully I'll enjoy reading off my TBR list for a bit longer.

      Delete
  4. I loooove books like this so I will definitely be adding it to my list. I've really been into suspenseful thrillers lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a thriller fan, but this one was very well done.

      Delete
  5. I remember watching this movie not too long after it came out and wanting to read the book. Then I forgot all about it. But I've been seeing lots of people picking it up the past couple of years. Maybe I should go back and watch some young Leo to get me in the mood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed with the movie, such a let down after the book, the relationships were all wrong and characters were stealing each others roles left, right and centre!

      Delete
  6. It's sort of a modern Lord of the Flies, isn't it? I swam at the beach where the movie was filmed. It looks lovely at first, until you notice the dozens of motor boats clutering up the tiny space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely Lord of the Flies influenced! And I'm jealous of you swimming in that beautiful beach...

      Delete
  7. I haven't read the book, but I have seen the movie a few times. I remember that the little society on the island reminded me a lot of Lord of the Flies too. As fun as exploring exotic places must be, I can't imagine myself joining a bunch of strangers to live in isolation like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this shortly after seeing the movie when it first came out. And all these years later, I'm not sure I remember much of either.

    ReplyDelete