Sunday 16 February 2014

Sam Sunday #44: Half Term


Half term has arrived here in the UK, which means a whole, wonderful week off work for both me and my husband.  It feels like it's arrived at just the right time as I've been feeling lots more tired lately, and I've had this persistent cold for about four weeks, which I know requires rest to vanish completely.  I'm very much in need of catching up on sleep and putting my feet up, which I will be doing for part of the week.

For the other part of the week, we're heading to Oxford for a bit of a mini-break.  We both wanted to get away, but I'm not keen on travelling long distances at the moment, so Oxford seemed perfect as it's only two hours or so away.  I've been on a few day trips to Oxford before, but never had a chance to explore it properly (I'm much more familiar with Cambridge), so it should be nice to wander around and visit places like the Bodleian library and the Ashmolean Museum.  We haven't actually been away at all since our honeymoon almost three years ago, what with saving to buy a house and then saving towards the baby, so we're both really excited.  We're heading out tomorrow morning and then returning Wednesday evening; hopefully Oxford centre won't suddenly flood over-night with all the rain we've had lately.

For the rest of the week, I'm planning just to relax at home.  Tom is going to start painting what will become the nursery - I might supervise while eating chocolate!  We've decided on a sage green colour and have picked out most of the furniture, it's just a case of starting things off now.  I'm currently 24-ish weeks, so we have just over three months to go.  My bump is definitely 'out there' now but on the whole I'm feeling pretty good, mainly just tired and a bit achy if I've been standing up all day.

I've been really into reading at the moment but haven't had much time for it, so I'm looking forward to getting in some solid reading hours in the week ahead.  I'm currently about two thirds of the way through Return of the King, so I'm hoping to finish that tonight.  Then I'll probably be picking something on my kindle, as I've been having a bit of a kindle spring clean this weekend and I've unearthed some hidden treasures that I can't wait to start.

Reviews posted since my last update:

14 comments:

  1. I do hope you enjoy your break and get some much needed rest and relaxation! Oxford sounds like a wonderful place to ramble around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad to hear everything is going well, Sam! I think this little break will do wonders to you and your shelves. Just imagine the amount of bookshops there must be in Oxford! I hope you share your pics with us when you're back. Have fun and take good care xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Kindle spring-clean? Hey now there's an idea. My dd has a Kindle on my account and has been downloading lots of classics. But....I'm feeling overwhelmed with the amount of books she's downloading.

    Congrats on making it to 26 weeks. You must be feeling the baby move more. That's always so special. You have another human with whom to share your love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your break, Sam! Glad to hear everything's going well with the little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you and your husband enjoy your break away, and you enjoy your break from work. Put your feet up and relax - you deserve it!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a lovely break! A kindle spring clean sounds like a really good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the weather holds up for you. Yesterday was glorious here in Belfast, actually got out for a walk in the sunshine....back to dreary wet today...still, the days are getting longer, not long until Spring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your week off sounds heavenly! Enjoy your trip to Oxford!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your break! It's always good to step out a bit, especially when life can get a bit busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your week off knocks out that cold. The Bodleian...a dream destination for me! Can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a good break! I hope Oxford treats you well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a perfect break - a little adventure and a lot of rest!

    I hope you can shake that cold. I feel like someone has been sick in our house for the past two months!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Supervising while eating chocolate should be a job that pays. Enjoy your time off and your sojourn to Oxford!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you have some time off to rest, catch up, and get better! Your trip to Oxford sounds like such fun. I hope the weather was okay. Hope the nursery painting goes well and that the chocolates are delicious. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete