Thursday 29 August 2013

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick


In 1907, rural businessman Ralph Truitt places the following advert in the newspaper; "Country businessman seeks reliable wife.  Compelled by practical reasons.  Reply by letter."  He is answered by Catherine, who claims to be a 'simple, honest woman', the daughter of missionaries.  She arrives by train in the middle of winter, but isn't who she claims to be.  Catherine thinks she is leading Ralph through her own devious scheme, but little does she know that he also has plans and secrets of his own.

I really wanted to like A Reliable Wife, which I read with Elena from Books and Reviews.  I love gothic fiction, so the setting and plot of this book appealed. Unfortunately, I disliked the book almost from the first chapter and although it improved towards the middle, it never became a good read.  The plot itself was fine; it required a little stretching of the imagination in terms of how the main characters all ended up linked, but I could have done that.  Instead, the main issues were with the writing and the characterisation.

Taking the writing first, it just felt so amateurish.  Goolrick tried to make every sentence into a heartfelt statement, with the effect that some of the chapters ended up feeing a bit silly and over the top.  He was a fan of long, overly descriptive sentences followed by very short ones, which again I suppose was for effect, but it didn't really work.  Even worse than this, Goolrick couldn't keep the perspectives straight in the different chapters.  Each chapter was from the point of view of one of three characters, but every now and again someone else's thoughts would find their way in, which was jarring.  For example, when Catherine is returning to Ralph after some time away, we get a lot of description of how she is feeling and then a random sentence about how Ralph 'was struck by her calm'.  How would Catherine know this?  It's a bit of a pet peeve when writers do this, write from one perspective but then can't stick to it.  It ruins the flow of the reading experience.

The other issue I had was the characterisation.  Goolrick's characters simply don't act how people would act in the real world.  Catherine was the most fully formed, she had motivations for her behaviour and seemed to act in a realistic way.  But Ralph and his son simply didn't feel like real people.  Ralph especially, no one would be that calm and forgiving throughout the novel, given the situations Goolrick put him in.  It's almost as though Goolrick wanted the plot to go a certain way, so he invented characters to fit with that, not stopping to consider whether they were realistic.  

So on the whole, I wasn't a fan of A Reliable Wife! As I said, the middle section was better than the beginning and the end and the plot had potential.  It was just a shame about the writing.


Source: Personal copy
First Published: 2009
My Edition: Abacus, 2010
Score: 2 out of 5

20 comments:

  1. I liked this one at the time, but I do wonder how I'd react to it now. I remember also being annoyed by all the sex. I'm no prude but it was almost so pervasive it was incredibly boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same happened to us!

      Delete
    2. Yes, and it wasn't interesting sex either, it was just like background noise in the end.

      Delete
  2. I liked this book. Good review.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we made a bad choice this time but I'm also glad we agree. Imagine reading this book with someone who actually enjoys it? It is not so bad-rated on Goodreads, so... I do wonder its target audience, I bet they are the kind who enjoy romantic novels. Nothing against them, just not my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it could have been awkward if one of us loved it!

      Delete
  4. I so agree with you on all counts, although I did like the first 50 pages and the last 25-50 according to my review (which I just looked up -- it's been quite a while since I read it). I think I must have been trying very hard to seek out the positive when I reviewed the book because I mostly remember hating it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liking the last 25 pages does seem like you were trying hard to find the positive!

      Delete
  5. It's been a while since I read this but I didn't like it at all either - don't remember a single character I liked - excellent review, your concerns very well articulated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are certainly unlikeable. Glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy this.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your review,I saw Elena's one as well. I doubt I will read this one, though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, sorry you didn't like this one! I had high hopes for it! I may wait a little bit longer to read it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has an OK rating on goodreads, so hopefully you will like it more than I did!

      Delete
  8. I read this a few years ago and I couldn't get past the writing either. It was so very "Look at how good my writing is! LOOK AT IT!" and it just bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just picked this up at the last library book sale. I know it has received very mixed reviews, and sometimes that makes me even more curious. Sorry it wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean it won't be for you. I've seen plenty of positive reviews of it on goodreads. Hopefully you'll like it more than I did.

      Delete
  10. I felt the same way you did. I still get a bad taste in my mouth when I see it in the library!

    ReplyDelete