Friday 26 July 2013

Fables Volume 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham


I've been trying out graphic novels lately and one series that I keep seeing everywhere is Fables, about fairy tale legends living undercover in New York after being forced to leave their home lands by the mysterious Adversary.  It's a mammoth series with nineteen books and several spin-offs.  I love the sound of fairy tale characters living in disguise in a modern city, so when I saw volume one at the library, I decided to give it a try.  Legends in Exile is a mystery story about the supposed murder of Rose Red, the sister of Snow White.  She goes missing and the discovery of her blood soaked apartments leads Snow White, the deputy of Fabletown and Sheriff Bigby Wolf, to investigate what has happened to her.

I enjoyed Legends in Exile more than I thought I would, which must mean I am turning into a graphic novel fan!  Although the plot of the story was OK, what I really enjoyed was the world-building and the back story of how the fairytale creatures were managing to stay hidden in New York.  I wasn't really that fussed about how killed Rose Red, but I was fascinated by Fabletown, how it is run and especially the amnesty, in which all of the fairytale characters had their past crimes wiped out upon arriving in our world.  This amnesty causes tension throughout the story as of course the violent characters, such as Blackbeard the pirate, come under more suspicion from Snow and Bigby.  I thought the concept of Fabletown was clever and the Fables world definitely interesting enough to warrant a whole series.  The story itself I could take or leave.

The drawing style is very much that of a traditional comic, which isn't my favourite style but it's done well and fits with the story.  I liked the artwork that was included before each chapter, it was quite surreal and made a good break from the comic format.  On the whole, I enjoyed Legends in Exile enough to read the next volume of the series, Animal Farm.  I doubt I will complete the series but I'm enjoying it so far.


Source: Library
First Published: 2002
Score: 3 out of 5

10 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for quite a while but I agree, the style of the comics turns me off. I don't really like that Marvel/superhero style...I prefer the styles of Alison Bechdel, Marjane Satrapi, etc... more drawings than what I usually think of as comics. That said, I'll still probably give this a try, if I ever remember to actually pick up a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I like Marjane Satrapi's style a lot more. I read the second volume of the series today and I'd definitely say it's worth picking up as the second was better than the first.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, my favorite series. And it's my favorite, not for the artwork, but for the world building you mentioned and for the way Willingham is able to incorporate the traditional folk tale histories of the characters. So so so clever. Example: Prince Charming as one many who womanizes ALL the princesses. Cracks me up.

    I was terribly interested in folk and fairy tales in grad school and ended up writing my thesis about this series and the way the comic format harkens back to the folk tale tradition. So much fun to write. :)

    I hope you enjoy others in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world building is pretty awesome. I was actually more impressed with it in the second volume, which I read today.

      And what a fun topic to write your thesis on!

      Delete
  3. Just as a warning, the second volume isn't the total best in the series. It's a lot of fun at times but the second volumes is not the best one.

    What else comics are you going to try? Will I be too tedious if I recommend Matt Fraction's Hawkeye? It's just insanely good. It really is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the second volume today and actually I enjoyed it more than the first, I think because I love the original Animal Farm/Russian history.

      Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to try Hawkeye :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read one graphic novel and that was Hines' The Odyssey. The artwork was impressive, but overall, I'd rather read a regular book. However, my son was assigned Persepolis as one of his summer reading books, so I might sneak a peak at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persepolis is extremely good, I read it a few years ago and it was the first graphic novel I ever read. Definitely sneak a peek :)

      Delete
  5. I've read the first four of the Fables series. I wanted to continue reading them, but my public library at the time didn't have the next in the series, and I don't like them enough to buy them.

    But I'm reminded that I should get back into reading graphic novels now and again. It's been over a year since I've picked one up.

    - Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely a library series. I read vol 2 today and I will be putting holds on the rest of the series.
      Good luck trying graphic novels again :)

      Delete