Sunday 16 June 2013

Sam Sunday 18: In which life is mean to me in 2013

I am feeling sorry for myself today.  I am supposed to be in London on a mini-break with my husband for his birthday this weekend but the online we company we booked it through took my money but then didn't actually inform the hotel we were going or you know, make a booking.  Luckily we phoned to confirm our reservation before leaving yesterday, or we would have turned up to the news that the hotel had no record of us and that they had no vacancies.  Of course, the online company doesn't have a telephone number so I will have to wait days for my complaining email to be answered and my money to be returned (which it will be!).

I know it's not the biggest deal, because I will get my money back, but it's something we've been looking forward to for a long time.  Life hasn't been kind to us so far in 2013 and lets just say we really needed the break.  It feels like everything I do at the moment just isn't working out.  Since the beginning of the year, the following has happened:

  • We lost the house we wanted to buy only three days before we were supposed to exchange contracts.  This was after spending six months going through all of the paperwork and lots of money on searches and solicitors fees.
  • Luckily we did manage to find another house pretty quickly but this time things went wrong on the solicitors side.  They made so many mistakes that we almost lost this house too.  If things had gone on for even one day longer, we would have been homeless.  The home buying process wasn't a joy, to say the least.
  • There are things going on at work that I am not allowed to write about but which have increased my work-load and stress-load dramatically.  
  • My Dad had a health scare.  Thankfully, he is OK now.
There are other issues too, things that I wouldn't mind my blogging buddies knowing about but don't want to put on the internet in case random people that know me come across this blog!  I know that I am lucky because I have a great relationship with my husband and a supportive family, but life feels like one thing after another going wrong at the moment.

The combination of all of these things caused a flare up of my health problem this week and I ended up having to take some time off work.  I am feeling better this weekend but a bit down in the dumps.  I'm hoping that the second half of 2013 will be better than the first, and that we can get some good news soon and that the little things can start going right, instead of wrong.

The plus side of our weekend away falling through was that I was able to get a lot of reading done.  This week, I have finished three books, all of which were excellent:

  

Review posted:

20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry things have been stinky. It definitely sounds as if you could've used the time away. Sending good thoughts and virtual hugs your way. And plenty of wishes for continued good reading. Hang in there, Sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've had such a horrible year. I understand the feeling - everything went horribly wrong for me in May and then MY health problems flared up too. It's really frustrating when at the time you most need to be healthy, that's when your body refuses to function.

    E-mail me if you need/want to rant. Sometimes it's helpful to talk to the people that you DON'T know that well, because they're not involved and you don't feel like you're being a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww man - I can totally relate about life lashing out this year - it's been hell! I so hope the year ends better than it started and you WILL get another vacation soon!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories like this make me even more sure I don't want to own a house - the stress involved seems huge! I don't think I'll ever be able to afford it anyway!
    At least now you have your little home and you can focus on it maybe? Hope the second half of the year is nicer to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there <3 Thankfully, the tough times come and go, eventually things will start to look up again. Hopefully you guys will get to take your vacation soon, sometimes getting away is all we need to recharge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no!! I'm so sorry to hear about your London weekend. Hope it's not too much of a hassle to get your money back. Seems like you've had your share of rough times this year... hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sending you all sorts of positive vibes! Hold on to those awesome folks in your life and try to let go of the cruddy things. Easier said than done of course ;)

    All those great books are the silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Sam, I'm so sorry that this half year has been really rough- I know the feeling, it feels like the last... 3 or 4 years in my family have been one thing after another and it's only now that we're coming out of the other side of it (shit, that doesn't sound good, does it? I'm trying to be comforting!) and it's lovely, and I really hope the rest of your year sucks way less!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I would've been fuming at that online company! Make sure to give them an earful. What a shame!

    Things will start getting better for you, Sam. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sam, this year has well and truly sucked for you hasn't it?! I've got my fingers crossed anyway but I am certain things will pick up for you. I'm sorry your weekend got ruined :(

    I am pleased you've read some good books. It may not make up for it but it certainly lessons the blow a bit. That's why I love books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything always comes at once :-( I know the feeling last year was like that for us. Big hugs,I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wretched! I hope you get some good luck soon. I know how it is when the workplace becomes overly stressful. It just oozes over into the rest of your life. Sending you some positive vibrations! At least we always have books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope things are looking up soon! Good thing you called to double-check the reservations before going!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry this has been a bad year. I've also had a shitty February through June, culminating in a student worker's funeral last week. Let me clarify that I'm not trying to do the competitive stress thing here, only to say you are not alone. One of my friends came up with the genius idea to declare July 1 as the start of a new year. I hope year 2013 1/2 is better for you as well... I'm thinking champagne and fireworks to mark the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A holiday canned at the last minute - that is cruel! Especially when these things usually take so much organising. Hope things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry to hear you been having a rough time recently, unfortunately I always think trouble comes all at once. I went through a very similar period at the end of last year. I really hope things start to pick up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, I'm so sorry! You guys deserved that little break from everything and it sucks that unreliable companies can ruin this for you! :( It is a good thing you found out before you got there, but I don't get why that company would do something like this!
    Ugh.
    I hope this week is a bit better and you and your husband get to take that trip sometime soon after all! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you have a better rest of the year. I know what you mean by being annoyed about the online booking thing. I would be super annoyed to see something like that happen especially after a lot of planning and looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Sam, I'm so sorry. Maybe this means all of the bad stuff is already used up for this year? Only good things are allowed to happen from here on out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, I'm so sorry, Sam! You were so excited about this break :(

    I'm glad your dad is fine now and that you have your family's support to go through everything. I think family is key to everything!

    Cheer up, lovely!

    ReplyDelete